Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Building the prototype : the back and the rear standard

I spent most of the day today working on the prototype. I had to manually make some cuts which were missed during the CNC cutting due to bugs in the code for the CNC machine, so it took way longer then it should've taken.

Learned quite a bit. I had some bugs in the G-code (the code the CNC machine needs to cut each part) for various parts. There are some areas where it's very bad if you let glue seep through the joins and harden. Like for the ground glass holder, where the distance the glass sits from the back is critical, having to remove hardened glue without removing any wood is a majot PITA.

The other thing is that when I sanded the ground glass holder guides round, the dowels which were not exposed initially, got exposed. Since I used light colored dowels, as this is what I had around, now they are an eye sore.

I also need to use more guiding holes and more dowels.

The bad news is that I have major issues with cutting the brass parts. I can't seem to find a way to cut the plate without having it take 3 days and without breaking end mills (it gets expensive at $5 a piece). I'm not sure how am I going to proceed.

The next step, aside from finding a way to make the brass parts is to assemble the bed. That's where most of the bugs in the G-code were, so I might have to cut the parts again.

No comments:

Post a Comment